desdemona font

tribal pattern

Monday, August 22, 2016

The reason I wanted to serve a mission

Dear family and friends.

Lorenzo's baptism
Hermana Niemann, Hermana Sofia, Hermana Woodbury,  Hermano Lorenzo


I have so much to tell you all but I probably won't have enough to time to say it all so I am typing as fast as my little fingers will allow me. (Curse my little hands and slow typing skills!)

First of all, Lorenzo got baptized this week....MY FIRST INVESTIGATOR GOT BAPTIZED THIS WEEK!! I am beyond over joyed to be able to make that announcement. Though still the begin of this week was super stressful because we had to basically set up everything. Talks, piano player, who would baptize him....the whole shabang! (And probably spelled that wrong...oops) but it turned out amazing. I have been to many baptismal services before but I Have never felt the spirit so intense as this one. Not even in my own baptism! Literally as soon as he came out of that water, time seemed to stand still. He just stood there in the water with his chin trembling and there was just a different glow about him. He has always had a glow about him but this one was brighter...more brilliant. When I looked into his face, I just knew that he knew it. That he could feel it so deep in his heart. I about leaped out of my chair and to the baptismal fount to hug him. I wanted to tell him I felt it too! I haven't had that much joy in my heart before.

I have had many joyful experiences in my life but nothing like this....I'm probably going to start crying writing this but it is so hard to explain what I felt. My heart was pounding so hard, and I felt like I could run miles, shout for joy, I don't know! Something! I had to do something! I imagine my joy will even be greater when I get to sit with him in the celestial kingdom some day.

I think also it is more special to me because I was with him from beginning to end of this process...all the way until he stepped into those waters. I seriously cannot even began to explain what it felt like. I wish I had the words....but I seriously don't. But I think the sweetest moment was when he bore his testimony. That just really reaffirmed to me that all the sacrifices I have made to come out and serve were all work it. My joy was filled.

Can I just brag about Lorenzo for a second? Lorenzo is the best! He is the absolute best! This past Sunday, the Sunday he got confirmed, we asked him if he would come to visit a potential with us. Just because he is super cool, he said yes. This potential's name is Juan and he has a daughter. Apparently they have been to church before but in a different ward in Rancho Cordova. He was going with a friend for a while and from what he told us is that he saw something different about his friend and now he wants the same happiness for himself. So he agreed to have missionaries come and teach him.

We got his contact information and ended up calling. We set up a time to meet him Sunday and now that is were we are at in this story. So Lorenzo came with us....and he was AMAZING! We were just talking to Juan, trying to get to know him and he was telling us somethings that had happened to him in his past. Lorenzo just starts talking out of nowhere and starts bearing his testimony about how he knows that our message could help him with whatever he was dealing with....Our recent convert was doing missionary work! How cool is that?! Wow but anyways we ended up adding him as a new investigator and Lorenzo even invited him to church next Sunday...without us even asking him to do it! As we were walking away from that appointment, Lorenzo kept on telling us how great that felt and if we were going to visit him again to call him because he wants to help Juan accept the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Can you really ask for a better recent convert?

This past Saturday, we had a multicultural event at the church. There were all types of food and dances from everywhere. Everything from the islands to Asia to Mexico! Super cool! What was even cooler is that one of the recent converts in our ward, Henyuri, did a Venezuelan dance! I will send the video along! But it was so awesome to be part of that.

Okay last thing....our mission is getting Facebook. That is the weirdest thing for me to say! It really is but its kind of cool at the same time...it is just proof to me that the lord's work is hastening more then we think. There are only 14 missions that have Facebook now and we are now one of the 14. Man that kind of tells you the level of trust the lord has in his missionaries. I will tell you more about that as I get information.

This week has been amazing...honestly there is no other place I'd rather be then right here in Sacramento California serving the lord.

I love you all and pray for you always!

Love Hermana Paredes
Over and out.


No comments:

Post a Comment