I can't believe Mother's day was here and gone! It is crazy! Yes for all of those who were wondering, SKYPING MY FAMILY WAS THE BEST!! I love it that we are given the opportunity to skype our families...I love technology. :)
Yesterday was insane!! At church, during relief society, the men surprised us by serving all of us ice cream and brownies! I was having an internal struggle with whether or not to accept the treat because I'm sort of on a no sugar thing...but then again I want the members to still feed us but they certainly won't if I didn't take their treat. Soooo I took it. Yep. AND IT WAS SO GOOOOOODDDD!!! sigh (just in heaven). After church we had to run to a few peoples houses to set up appointments for this coming week and then we were going to go Skype at the church. When we got to the church, there was still a lot of people there and we couldn't find an empty room...so we call Sister Lemon, who is just an angel and also the branch presidents wife, to see if we could go to her house and use her wifi to Skype. She told us to head right on over! Sweet lady! So we go over, skype, introduce President Lemon and his wife to our families, and then President Lemon asks us if we had a dinner appointment. Our dinner appointment had barely canceled so we told him we didn't and he simply said "Well, now you do!" Give it up for President Lemon! (claps, hoots and hollers...hahah) Sister Lemon tells us that they will be having a few more people to eat and we are just like "yeah that is cool". I'm not sure what Sister Lemon's definition of a "few people"....because from what I saw there wasn't enough seats in the house that people were sitting on the lawn in the BACKYARD!!! SLEWS OF PEOPLE!!! AND THEY ALL BROUGHT FOOD!!! Oh my gosh it was so good! Just an all american cook out!! I haven't had that in forever!! UGHHHHH!!! I almost died because it was so good!! Only problem is that they wanted us to try everything....EVERYTHING!!! We had five different kinds of meat, three different types of salads, five different kinds of bread (three of those being homemade...you better believe that I made a B-line for those!), and don't get me started on the desserts....oh gosh! The desserts! I swear there was a family competition going on!!! Everyone wanted us to try THEIR desserts, that THEY made, and they didn't care if we were full or not!! I swear Latinos were bad...nope! These people make them look tame....I LITERALLY HAD THREE DIFFERENT TYPES OF COOKIES ON TOP OF ICE CREAM AND PIE!!! AFTER I HAD EATEN A FULL PLATE OF MEATS, BREADS, AND SALAD! WE LITERALLY DID NOT GET OUT OF THERE TILL TWO HOURS LATER BECAUSE EVERYONE WANTED US TO TRY WHAT THEY BROUGHT!!! ohhhh it was exhausting....I LOVE THE LEMONS!!! hahahah!!!
Investigators.....tough one. We still haven't gotten anyone to come to church. We just can not understand why!! It is so strange! Even my trainers have said that this has never happened to them. We literally do everything from inviting them to church to showing up on their door Sunday morning to remind them about church! Nothing! ZIP! NADA! We are praying for a miracle at this point...thank goodness we believe in a god of miracles. I did have a miracle experience this past week though!
There was a lady named Virgina who I met this past week at a relief society activity. She is not a member and just came because her friend invited her too. Well, we got talking and I found out that she was from Peru. So am I!....kind of...half Peruvian! So anyways, I we started talking about Peru and she noticed my name tag and said "hey, I have people who I am related to that have the last name Paredes." I was like "REALLY?!" Totally got excited on her!!....yeah she looked a little scared. hahah! But she started to tell me her relatives names so I quickly stopped her and whipped out my Handy Dandy IPad and got on to the Family Search app. Immediately after I showed her my family tree, she gasped and got really excited! Apparently she recognized some of the names!! WE COULD BE RELATED!!! She then asked me to look up her ancestors so we searched her dad's name and we found a whole family tree!!! Like A WHOLE ONE!!! She then told me that she had been searching for her ancestors names because she is writing a book about her family history. That is when the Spirit hit. I knew that this was no coincidence that I had met her...God's hand was in all of it. She is now super excited about family history and I can tell that the Spirit of Elijah spoke to her. She began to ask questions about the church and I was able to explain some of it to her. I even got to invite her to church!!!
I just find it amazing how God knows each one of his children personally. He knows their needs and their deepest desires, and I am just grateful that he was able to use me as an instrument in his hands. I love being a missionary!
Hermana Paredes
Over and Out!
No comments:
Post a Comment